Thursday, November 15, 2007

It's ok lah...

So, I've been staring at photos of food the whole morning with my colleagues. Also checking out blogs on food. I manage a F&B mag you see...something that I never thought I'd be doing one day. Considering that I never did enjoy doing restaurant reviews before. I mean, what do I know about food (besides eating and gobbling)? My answer is always the same: "Ok lah". How's the bruscetta? "Ok lah". How's the tempura moriawase? "Ok lah". How's the Brazil lamb shank with shallot mashed potatoe? "Erm..ok..lah" Sigh...How's the pan-fried unagi and foie gras?? "Erm...nice? Well..ok lah"

But here I am, doing my fifth issue of the magazine that started out in September this year. Something that materialised from a simple chit-chat about doing a one-or-two pager on something F&B related. Now, it has spawned into a full-fledge F&B magazine that covers restaurant reviews, feature articles, recipes, restaurant listings, etc. Help!! I hope never to utter the words "home reviews" too ever. That's another one of those "descriptive writing" that I'm so edgy about. Throw me a personality feature and I'll do it willingly and sometimes, with my eyes closed (literally).


But I guess work is work. We have to see the business objective, the long-term plans and the vision of the company. So one has to work in-line with what the shareholders/management wants. Tough and in cases such as this, becomes something you have to force yourself to like, for the sake of a better future. Ok, I'm not saying that I don't enjoy it at all---I do like going to the restaurants and sample all the delicious food. All those rich food. My gawd. You have the fine dining outlets and then there are the easy-chic restaurants. Hope to do the uber chic ones too like Frangipani.


Oh well..just rambling lah. Let's see how this mag goes. In the meantime, I think I better go off for lunch. I'm sure the food will be "Ok lah".


So how's your roasted duck breast with foie gras sir? "Ok lah!"

Adios.

No comments: